Activities to Enjoy in Lodi & the Sacramento Valley, CA
You will not run out of things to experience during your stay at The Inn at Locke House. Ask the innkeepers for their personal activities list (approaching 100) as the Great Central Valley develops its treasure!
Antiques, collectibles, horses and cattle, western gear, plants, produce, high fashion, vintage… You name it, we’ve a place for you to find it in Lockeford and Lodi.
Our guests have spoken – there are some unique restaurants in the area beginning right in Lockeford at Rich Plate, for lunch try one of the owner’s favorite Greek recipes – or Capri Bar & Grill for dinner – a sports bar with good food. Going wine tasting or birdwatching? Order sandwiches from Donkey J’s! The Lockeford book club meets there every month. Within 15 minutes, guests are in Lodi where there are many dining choices – from Mediterranean, Sushi, pub dishes and California cuisine. Pietro’s Italian grows vegetables and herbs around the trattoria; downtown Lodi’s Rosewood, Dancing Fox, and Fenix Bistro offer delicious meals – farm to fork – that can be enjoyed outdoors on their patios. A neighborhood favorite is ZinBistro on Lodi Avenue in the heart of old Lodi.
With more than 85 boutique wineries and tasting rooms in the Lodi Wine Appellation, opportunities to taste award-winning wines and meet the winemakers are almost unlimited. Check Visit Lodi or start at the Wine and Visitors Center for happenings at wineries and for appellation-wide celebrations. Book our packages tailored for events such as Wine and Chocolate Weekend; First Sip; Zinfest, Silent Movie Night at Harmony Wynelands; art and music at Pasos Vineyards nearby, Mad Hatter party at Macchia and Raggae & Rhone at Michael David.
Golfers are fortunate to have two 18-hole public courses within 30 minutes of the inn.
- Lockeford Springs Golf Course – par 72 – less than 5 minutes from the inn with a pro shop, club house dining, and scenic event area. Let us book your tee time for your special rate.
- Micke Grove Golf Links in Lodi – par 72 – part of the beautiful Micke Grove Regional Park. Your non-golfing partner can enjoy the park and museum.
Sky Diving, Parachuting, Private Pilots
- Within 15 minutes of the inn you can be airborne at the Lodi Parachute Center.
- Pilots land your plane at the Lodi Airport. The innkeepers can arrange ground transportation if you wish.
Add to the inn’s own bird count as you relax in the garden. Participate in the annual November Sandhill Crane Festival. Take a California Fish and Game Tour or build your own birding adventure using the inn’s maps. We can also arrange a private day of birding for you with one of the area’s best bird guides. See Heritage Oak Winery’s guided bird tour schedule.
Rodeo and Equestrian Adventures
- Clements Rodeo and Stampede (home of the Buckaroos) is just down the road. This is the venue for Cowboy Church, rodeo event lessons, western days and the annual rodeo.
- Sargent Equestrian Center and the inn offer exquisite equestrian experiences for our guests.
- We are also close to Jack Tone Ranch, Hansen’s Performance Horses and Matt Sargeant’s ranch which offer clinics for beginners and advanced riders. Board your horse and ride at Phil Hansen’s ranch just down the road from the inn.
Hiking and Cycling
Bring your bike, ride in on your motorcycle, or bring your walking shoes. We’ve got great “secret” routes prepared by riders and walkers who love this area. Like planning your own? Check out www.Bikely.com and www.mapmyride.com. You can rent a bicycle from Downtown Bicycle Lodi.
Boating, Fishing, Kayaking
Your options begin at the Fish Hatchery in Clements and extend to Lake Camanche, Lake Pardee, Lake Amador, Rio Vista and the Stockton Marina. The Mokelumne River is perfect for kayaking and Headwaters Kayak at Lodi Lake can outfit you as well as take you for a guided tour.
World-class entertainment can be found at Lodi’s Hutchins Street Square theatre and galleries, Bob Hope Fox Theatre in Stockton, and the Stockton Arena. Visit Lodi and the Stockton Convention and Visitors Bureau publish internet event calendars.
Museums, Art Galleries, Parks
- Haggin Museum in Stockton is a gem set in a lovely park not far from University of the Pacific.
- A pleasant walk from the inn, the Old Lockeford School House reveals the history of Lockeford-Clements communities. Combine your visit with a tour of the historic Harmony Grove Cemetery using the inn’s guidebook.
- Micke Grove Regional Park can be a two-day adventure. The San Joaquin Historical Museum collections represent all aspects in the development of San Joaquin County, especially agriculture. This museum also hosts special exhibits by noted California artists and photographers, as well as traveling exhibitions.
- Enjoy the tranquil Japanese Gardens, zoo, picnic grounds, Julia Weber House, children’s amusement park and golf course.
- Lodi’s Hill House gives one the sense that the Hill family is still in residence.
- The campuses of University of the Pacific and San Joaquin Delta College merit a day’s exploration with their unique architecture and landscape treasures.